Friday, July 1, 2011

Magic Needle News Issue #2 from March/ April 2011

MAGIC NEEDLE NEWS
March 27, 2011

Well ladies, it's time for another news letter. I got some great feedback from some of you about the last one and hope this one will interest you as well. I would like to encourage you again to submit your ideas, articles, links, and any items of interest you would like to share with your quilting sisters. So, help me out if you can. We all love interesting links and free patterns!

PROGRAM FOR NEXT MEETING
Our next Magic Needle meeting is scheduled for April 14th. After lunch our program will focus on the basics of cutting a project with our AccuQuilt Go. Everyone will have the opportunity to use the cutter to cut out a small project to take home and sew. Hopefully, everyone will finish their projects and bring them for Show & Tell in June. Our project will be a table runner using a simple block pattern. I'll also bring some of my own applique dies to demonstrate cutting fused shapes for machine applique if anyone would like to try them.
Supplies list:
3 fabrics, ½ yard each (should be more than enough) 1 piece will be for background, 1 focus and 1 for star points. Choose something for your backing, but you won't need to bring it with you. I recommend that you starch or use sizing and press fabrics well before cutting for best results. You don't need to bring your machines since you will be finishing at home. I'll bring project sewing handouts. If you want to try cutting some appliques, bring small pieces of fused fabric. Fused scraps from other projects work great!

JUST ONE STAR CAN COMFORT A SOLDIER
I recently learned about this challenge from Moda and wanted to pass this on to all of you. I know there are some of you who have time to make just one block for this challenge. The challenge is to piece, quilt, and bind 100 quilts in 100 days using the Flag of Valor pattern by Minick & Simpson. Deadline for star blocks is May 1, 2011 so that Moda can have quilts ready by Flag Day on June 14th . The attached pdf file contains all the information and the pattern for the star block. The address is in the bottom right corner of the file. I'm making more than one and hoping you will join me in making a block or two for this very worthwhile cause.

IT TAKES CHARM
If you signed up to take part in the charm square swap, the color for April is PINK. You will need to bring or send 24 pink charm squares to the next Piecemakers meeting on April 11. The key to participating in a successful swap is being on time with your squares and making sure the quality of the fabric is what YOU would want to receive! Squares from April will be distributed to participants at the May meeting.

MAY BIRTHDAY PARTY
As you all know by now, we are having a combined birthday party with Piecemakers instead of each guild having a separate party. It will be a catered Tea Party event. If you haven't reserved your place at the TEA PARTY yet, do it now! Contact Pat Ussery, patlogshack@comporium.net or Lyn Baker, baker@comporium.net to confirm. The tea party will be May 9th at 6pm at Heath Springs Baptist Church.

FRAYED SEW GROUP
The group met at Janet's house on March 19th . We had a great time creating little pieces of art using Janet's stash of leftover fused scraps. Show and Tell should be fun in April!

QSC SPRING MEETING
Those of us who attended the QSC Spring Meeting in Orangeburg on March 12 had a wonderful time! Our speaker was Susan Cleveland, author of Piping Hot Curves and Piping Hot Bindings. Her lecture, “My Eclectic Quilt Pageant,” was filled with fun and wonderful quilts. Lunch was delicious and the vendors were great. The class samples for this fall's Pieceable Retreat were nothing short of AWESOME! The biggest problem was trying to figure out how to take all those classes in one weekend! Seriously, there was something for everyone and something for every skill level. The classes this year cover a wide range of projects from traditional to modern, beaded embellishments to beaded jewelry, new block techniques, thread painting, doll making, quilted jackets, domestic machine quilting and long arm quilting. One of the most amazing and unexpected was a tuffet, an actual piece of furniture! From pieced landscapes to fabric dyeing, the class offering is not at all lacking this year. If you plan to go to retreat this fall, get your registration in soon. Classes are filling quickly.

ITEMS FOR SALE
Janet Nelson is downsizing and has several machines for sale. This is a copy of the email I received from her.

Ladies, I'm thinning the herd. I have the following machines for sale.

Two antique Singers, NOT featherweights, probably paperwts.
#1  black machine with gold decals and feathered faceplate. Case has been painted and might not be original. $150
#2. Black machine with gold decals, grooved faceplate. Leatherette case, wooden case of attachments. Beautiful stitch. Mint condition. $400
#3 Singer 150, circa 2001. Light weight machine, great to take to classes. $100
#4 older model Design-a-Quilt, free-motion, sit-down quilter. I have quilted six queen sized quilts and many wall hangings on this machine. Extends to 12 feet of table space. When not needed, 2 drop sides fold down to 4 feet x 30 inches of floor space. $850
#5 Babylock 5 spool serger. Bought from Ellie. $300
#3, 4, and 5 have instruction books and attachments.
Contact Janet if you are interested in any of these machines
.
SENIOR CENTER
Please keep in mind that we really need to use our room at the senior center more. We don't want to lose it! I realize that we get busy with other things. I've had other obligations the past couple of months and haven't been there much myself. But this room is too good to lose. There's plenty of room, good lighting, floor receptacles for plugging in our machines, storage, etc. What more could we ask for? We would really like to plan some projects and workshops, but we need more people to show up. If any of you can make it this Thursday, please come. Please email me if you can be there. 10 am seems to be a good time for most. Hopefully we can make some plans and do some quilting!
LINKS YOU MIGHT LIKE
http://www.quiltedparadise.com/ This is a wonderful quilting forum. I get a lot of information, tutorials, and links from here. I think this is the sign up page for their newsletter which is delivered each day with a link to the latest news on the forum.
A LITTLE HUMOR

The Quilter's Last Will And Testament*

I,___________________________,being of sound mind (a statement which does not bear close examination) do hereby record my last will and testament.

Knowing that __________________________________, my _________________ (husband, sister, or friend) hasn’t the least understanding or appreciation for, or for that matter, knowledge of my extensive fabric collection, which collection is suitably deposited in sundry places for safekeeping.

Knowing also that ___________________________ has already notified the local dumpster to pick up and dispose of the before mentioned collection "willy-nilly" (the thought of which causes me a most severe case of hives).

Therefore, I do will this collection and all other collections related to it, to my dear friend and fellow fabric preservationist, _________________________.

It is my wish that she/he, upon hearing of my death and obtaining clear proof that I did not manage, although goodness knows I tried, to take it with me, would come to my home post haste, before the dumpster, and search out my collection which is similarly stored at her own abode.

That she should rescue said collection and stack it in my quilting studio, along with my sewing machines, frames, old buttons, lace, patterns, quilts, dolls and works in progress.

After she/he has done this, she/he should purchase refreshments for my friends not yet departed, which friends are also her/his friends, and every last one shall be in that room and they shall hold a wake and say lovely and kind things about me until they run out and then they shall divide amongst themselves, by lot, my wonderful collection.

I shall be hovering over that very spot until this is done. _______________________ shall then quit this spot and close the door, leaving trivialities to those who do not understand. This is my wish on the matter.

Signed: ____________________ Date: ___________

Notarized: __________________ Date: ___________

*This is not a legal document

Written By Elinor Peace Bailey,
Published in "The Cloth Doll"
Spring/Summer 1990

CAN YOU GUESS WHAT I DID ON MY BIRTHDAY?

WAIT FOR IT............


WAIT FOR IT.........






I DID THE MINUTES AND SENT THEM OUT THEN TYPED THIS NEWSLETTER AND FORGOT TO EMAIL IT!! TALK ABOUT A SENIOR MOMENT! LOL!

Til next time....

Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment